By Jackie Saulmon Ramirez | February 4, 2015
Am I the only one with the winter blahs?
Punxsutawney Phil, that groundhog predictor of spring weather, says winter is here to stay well into March and that means many of us are not too happy. Parents are hitting the snooze button and children haul backpacks with a leave-me-alone frown. What is a parent to do?
For many years I’ve heard the expression, “If mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy,” and I wholeheartedly believe that. Parents set the tone for the household. If parents are cheerful then kids will be happy, too; if parents are quiet and grumpy, then kids will be moody, too.
What can you do to lift the gloom?
It may seem silly but…
• Use the good china and candlesticks to set an elaborate table for breakfast or dinner.
• Make or buy a crown that the first child to the table can wear until the meal is finished.
• Collect change from the washer and when there is enough, take children out for breakfast or, if it is on the weekend, to brunch.
• Celebrate a holiday of choice or honor your children with ‘outstanding’ or ‘most improved’ awards: Manners, academics, helpfulness, thoughtfulness and so on.
• Write an uplifting message or funny joke on the bathroom mirror.
• Wear a fancy hat or costume.
• Talk to each other in rhyme.
Get creative and come up with your own brand of sunshine and cheer to warm the moods around you. You may discover how contagious lightheartedness and optimism can be!
Copyright © 2014 Jackie Saulmon Ramirez. All Rights Reserved.
New Jersey 24-Hour Family Helpline: 1-800-THE-KIDS
Parents Anonymous® of New Jersey, Inc.
Phone: (609) 585-7666
Fax: (609) 585-7686
Join the Online Support Group
Wednesdays 9:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. EST
Thursdays 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. EST
Sundays 9:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. EST
Facebook: Parent Rap
Parents Anonymous® Inc.
Phone: (909) 621-6184
Fax: (909) 621-0614
National Parent Helpline
1-855-4A PARENT OR 1-855-427-2736
Hours: Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST