Pets Enhance Our Lives

Studies suggest having a pet has many benefits for children such as higher self-esteem, better social skills, are more relaxed, have lower blood pressure and so on.

By Jackie Saulmon Ramirez | March 4, 2015

Nature is filled with wondrous things that are sure to delight children of all ages.

Children are born with inquisitiveness about the world around them. As a child I often marveled at birds in flight, watching them soar, dip and dive in the wild. They were such a joy to observe as they went about their lives.

My mother always had parakeets and like her, I welcomed them into our lives, too. I wanted to have my daughters experience birds as I had so we brought a green parakeet. We named him Pete and he wasted no time getting used to us. Over the years we laughed at Pete bathing and splashing, walking around our supper table, flying to our shoulders and walking on the floor. We woke up to Pete’s ‘get up’ call, the wolf whistle and bird calls. Even the dog got in on the fun; Jim Bob followed Pete walking on the floor and licked up his poops along the way. Pete gave us so many joy-filled hours during his lifetime. And I miss him still.

When Pete died many years ago the girls and I mourned for months over the silly bird that had grown so attached to us and it was their first experience with death. I did not replace Pete because I could not bear the thought of suffering through another loss but now it is time to move on and get another parakeet – a companion for me.

A parakeet can learn to interact with people to provide countless hours of enjoyment.

Benefits of having Pets

Studies suggest having a pet has many benefits for children such as higher self-esteem, better social skills, are more relaxed, have less risk of asthma, lower blood pressure, fewer visits to the doctor, increased responsibility, improved impulse control, less anxiety, less stress, less loneliness and more. Check out the Parents article below:

Parents: The Benefits of Pets

Simple Spring Bird Activity

When my daughters were young we often put scraps of colored or shiny string, threads, ribbons and such out in the yard for birds building nests in spring. With or without binoculars we watched as birds of all kinds hopped among our offerings to choose the perfect additions to their nests. Perhaps your children would find birds interesting to observe. Birdwatching makes a wonderful hobby that gets children outdoors and into nature!

Helpful Bird Guides and Information

How to ID Birds

All About Birds

Backyard Bird Identifier

National Audubon Society

Did someone mention photographing birds?

Bird photography tips: how to shoot pin-sharp pictures of birds of prey

All About Birds: Bird Photography

How to Photograph Birds

Tips for Photographing Birds

Poor Man’s Guide to Bird Photography

And you can use cell phones for photographing more that your lunch and selfies:

Cell Phone Bird Photography

PhoneSkope: Bird Watching

PHOTO: Courtesy of George Thomas Under Flicker/CC License.
PHOTO: Courtesy of Selbe Under Flicker/CC License.

Sundays 9:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.

PANJ Online Chat Room Tips

Facebook: Parent Rap Group

Parent Rap Facebook Page

Facebook: Father Time

This entry was posted in Fun, Parenting and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Pets Enhance Our Lives

1. Very nice!
    I’ve had pets ever since in early grade school. We treat them like royalty!

I know exactly what you mean, Tom. I made pets of everything which is why they said I should never live on a farm. Thank you for that, I think we have lots of company. 🙂

2. jmsabbagh says:

Fabulous post.Tank you Jackie for visiting my blog.Regards.

3. so true, Jackie. Pets do enhance our lives. Thanks for this.

You are so right, Cynthia. I brought home my new parakeet Tuesday and he has already been so much company. Thank you for stopping by. 🙂

4. Jackie
    i’m very happy to know you support young people having pets, when they start young they develop a true love whether it be for birds, cats, dogs or whatever and i’m certain the care and love refine and nourish the soul.

Bless You for this sharing.

Big Hugs

john

Hi John,

It’s good to see you! I hope you are warm and well.

Yes, the earlier a child is exposed to animals and birds the better. I remember animals early in my life and I think it does promote empathy, kindness, gentleness and love of all things. My best friends as a teenager was dogs, ponies and a horse.

Thank you for your kindness, John, and thank you for the blessing! I can certainly use blessings, and you be blessed as well. ❤

Hugs back, John,

Jackie

5. Love Birds, I have a cockatoo named Merlin.

I love birds, too, Valentine. I’ve never owned a cockatoo but I bet they are fun. Merlin is a clever name for a feathered friend. 🙂

6. kcg1974 says:

I loved this post! A pet can change a child’s life forevermore! Thank you! 🙂 🙂

7. yes they do. A dog is great for someone who has clinical depression. The dog can sense when the major depression is coming on, a cue to the patient suffering with the emotional illness, so they can learn to deal with the coming episode. The dog will either back off, and not come when called, or will be extract affectionate with its depressed owner.

I understand what you mean, Randy. I once had a dog many years ago whose nose ran whenever I was upset, depressed or angry. A year ago today, I lost another dog that I was very attached to; she apparently had a heart attack and died in my arms. Dogs truly love unconditionally and I miss each and every one, especially Scout, the one I lost last year. A few weeks ago I got a parakeet and we are getting to know each other and he fills the empty days with cheer. I have noticed, though, that I am calling Pete by the dog’s names. ❤